Monday, June 8, 2009

Closet Raid!


Blazer: H&M; Shell: Gap;
Pants: J Crew; Shoes: Chinese Laundry;
Earrings: ???

It is both fun and puzzling to go through clothing that you haven't worn in a really long time.
The fun: its like getting all new free clothes without the effort of actually shopping!
The puzzling: sometimes you can't help but wonder, why did I buy this?

Ok, so I don't hate my outfit today, but I've been going through my closet lately and these are the feelings I've had. These pants are oooooold. I have very mixed feelings about them- they're super casual and comfy (great!), but because they are so long, they necessitate heels (odd combo). So the blazer. I wore this only a few times after buying it before it no longer fit, so my memory of it was not the best. It is a much longer cut that I remember. To me, It feels like perhaps it is too long. I know the style right now is a longer, mannish blazer, but I'm unsure about it. I'm willing to give it a few more tries though, because it's a great lightweight navy material, and the slim fit is pretty good (slim and long, not evil I guess). Also, it has some really nice stitching detail on it:

I love the mermaid-y feel of the sequiny bits on this top. The fit isn't the best- it does that weird drapey thing where the armholes are a bit large. The cut of the neckline is one where normally I would wear a necklace, but there's so much going on with the sparkly bits a necklace seems like a bad idea. I like the way this top looks under the navy blazer- the jacket keeps the sparkly bits in check!


Look! Dangly earrings! I really like these, but just rarely wear dangly earrings. It's a shame because I love these colors together. I went with a simple low ponytail today- I was feeling very blech this morning so simple hair was a must. I like how the layers in my hair form those flippy waves when it is worn this way.

The plants finally moved to their actual homes!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

what a pretty top!

By doing my blog, I'm forcing myself to pull out clothes I haven't worn in a while. It is fun to find something and maybe change what you used to wear it with.

Jess said...

Thanks :)

Its a lot of fun going through my old clothes! I too am forcing myself to make new combinations am and loving it. Still though, sometimes I just shake my head and wonder what I was thinking! I know a lot more about fit and am able to better evaluate how things look on my body. I'm able to have a lot more fun with it now.

Pauline Wiles said...

You might not feel a million dollars in this outfit, but it actually looks pretty nice online, especially the sparkly top.
May I offer a comment in the friendliest spirit possible, that in one photo I thought you were wearing a little crown. It turned out to be (I think) the light fixture in the room behind, but perhaps your camera could be set up a couple of inches to one side?
Apologies if this seems picky
:)

Jess said...

"I thought you were wearing a little crown"
HA!

Yeah, it's the chandelier thingy from the dining room. I'll scootch over next time. I failed to mention I dropped my mom's photography class after 4 days. I probably would have learned important skills like 'make sure there are no weird things in your background like errant light fixtures that impersonate headgear'.

Even though I had a lot off little nit-picky things to say about the individual pieces of this outfit- I did actually like it :) The shirt is just plain fun and I like the color combo of the shirt and jacket.

Pauline Wiles said...

:)
It's not the end of the world to be wearing a little crown!
Unlike the wedding photos I saw - taken by an amateur - where the bride & groom were cutting their cake and there was a vacuum cleaner sitting right behind them...

Robin Bailey said...

Oh, I love that top.
It definitely adds the pop the outfit needs.

Very nice.

Robin
http://threadbearthoughts.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog via T Minus T Plus. I also have a job I don't have to dress up for (after many years of wearing uniforms as an RN then office wear as a visiting nurse) so I can relate to falling into the way-to-casual-no-one-will-see-me-anyway-so-who-cares mode of dress. A few years back I decided to upgrade my look for ME and it feels really good. Good luck on your journey. I like you blog and look forward to seeing more of your looks.

Tracy