Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The daily uniform and paradigm shift

In general, I don't see the point of dressing up too much if I'm just going to be home working during the day then heading strait to the gym afterward, but I should at the very least upgrade to a less homeless looking style. Below is a picture of me from today wearing the slightly upgraded version of my daily work uniform.


I'm sporting a less gigantic t-shirt (I even had to pay for this one), a fleece and jeans, and of course the greatest footwear known to man, my Minnetonka slippers.

While this is fine for a day in the home office and passable for running errands on a busy day, this no longer cuts it other times.

What I've realized since starting to think about how to look better, is that it's not just a matter of changing what I wear, but really its about changing how I view clothes. A paradigm shift, if you will. When I was cubicle worker bee, the work week was my main focus- things had to fit he business casual dress code and weekends were my time off from having to think about clothing. Now though, weekends and evenings out are my time to really express myself with my clothing.

Lastly, I wanted to talk about my hair, because it's a rather dominant feature on me. Over the years I have had a wide variety of styles, lengths and colors. I seem to have settled on long wavy layers with highlights over the past few years. When I lived in MD I had a hair dresser I loved who gave me a nearly perfect haircut every time. All I had to do was tousle the waves back in after combing it when wet and it looked perfect every time. Since moving out here though, it's taken me some time to find a new hair dresser. This most recent cut though, I think finally nailed it. The highlights are darker than usual (I have a weakness for platinum blond), and the layers are much shorter on top and longer on bottom, but it works. I think the length in back is a bit of a surprise also. To me, getting a haircut I like finally was a big move towards me looking decent on a regular basis. Hair is just another accessory, so make the most of it!



And just because I found it hysterical, here is a picture of my dog looking quite confused as I invade her space to take some pics (she naps on the couch near the mirror).

1 comment:

Kasmira said...

I get my hair cut by Heather, at Taylor Jameson, in Northside (Cinci). You might like her. She does a good job with my waves.