Monday, May 11, 2009

The good, the bad, the unfortunately pleated

On Sunday, while my husband took over my home office for some more glorious unpaid overtime, I used the time to play in my closet. I did a little reorganizing but mostly just tried stuff on to test out new combinations and see how things were fitting these days.

The good: A lot fits! While I still have 10 lbs to be at my all time low wedding weight, I'm ahead of schedule fit wise due to having more muscle at this weight than previously. So hooray for me!!!

The bad: Really, it's time to let go of some things. A lot of things. Why? Well, I have a lot of things I just don't particularly like. I bought them because they were work appropriate, and well you just can't show up at the office naked. It's not that I'll miss those things, but I still haven't adjusted to not needing an arsenal of business casual attire. What if I need to go to meetings every day for 3 weeks strait???? Oh yeah, at most I'll have 5 days in a real office in a row, one of which is casual Friday. And I will know far in advance. Like months in advance. So it's time to say goodbye. So long, money that was already spent long ago!

The hardest part through, is realizing I need to let go of things that while they still 'fit' and I like them on a hanger, really, they have no place on my body. These are the unfortunately pleated items. Skirts that make my hips look and extra 3 feet wide. Not to mention the skirts that probably 5 or so inches too short. Or the one random skirt that is both oddly sun bleached and at least 7 inches too long. Why do I own a skirt that long?

So I started the day with 10 skirts remaining in my closet. I now have 3 I am keeping. Well, I have a few hanging up that I just can't part with yet, but really, once I start buying ones that look infinitely better than them, I'll let them go. Inside, I'm hoping when my hips are a bit smaller they'll be able to handle the excessive pleating. I got a lot of compliments on some of those skirts!

*Sigh*

So much of my closet has got to go! I haven't even gotten to the questionable shirts yet.... At least I think I've gotten rid of most of the stuff purchased in college. College, which I graduated from 7 years ago.

Oh yeah, I also have a lot of holes in my closet! Man, I need to go buy some shirts or I'll be forced to make questionable pairing decisions!

3 comments:

Tina said...

I think we need a fashion show of what you're getting rid of!

Jess said...

Heh heh. Maybe this weekend!

Unknown said...

For fashionable yet casual look, go for some capris. A nice change up from denim. And buy some tissue weight cardigans, great to wear by itself and to change the look of a shirt or Tshirt you already own. Then for the summer I have ton of casual skirts. They are straight or slightly A line and knee length. You can wear low sandals and flip flops with those to keep it comfortable. I've yet to pull those looks out. Still waiting in New England for the warmer weather :)