Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What the heck?

Well hello there internets. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jess. I live in the 'burbs, I'm married with dog, and work from home. My life changed quite a bit just over a year ago- my husband and I picked up and moved from the dense suburbs of Washington D.C. to the slow moving Kentucky suburbs outside of Cincinnati. Possibly the biggest change (for me) was leaving the world of daily commuting to the cubicle farm for working full time from home. That's right- no more meetings, no more dress code, no more need to even bother showering (yes I do shower daily).

Ar first, it seemed like a clothing dream come true. I wear jeans every day! I wear slippers! No more worrying about dry cleaning! No more blisters from heels! But then, the magic wore off and I realized I had gone from a mediocre version of city-preppy style to full on poor-college-student style. I had a daily uniform of jeans and the same college sweatshirt topping off assorted free college t-shirts. If all you're doing is sitting at home working on your computer, really what does it matter? The problem is that the line between handing out at home and being an active member of society were blurred, and all of a sudden that same sweatshirt started to become part of my DNA. Heck, I never even unpacked my shoes when the hubs and I moved into our new house- the sat in a heap in the back of my closet for a good 6 months.

Obviously, something had to change. Operation: Look Like an Adult was born. This is my attempt to adjust to my new lifestyle and find a way to present myself as the competent, interesting 29 year old woman I have become. It's slow going and is certainly a process. That whole its-a-journey-not-a-destination thing rings true for sure. But it's bound to be fun and hopefully at least a little fabulous.

No comments: